Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guest Room Makeover Part 2 - Implementation

Inspiration: papaya.

One slight problem: our current guest bedroom will hopefully be our nursery one day.

Although I looooooove that perfect shade of papaya, I knew as soon as I went crazy with color in there, the man and I would have a little baby boy, and we all know boys don't like papaya (at least I hope ours won't...in his bedroom). I feel the need to clarify - there is NO baby on the horizon, but let's be real, stranger things have happened. :)

Ok, back to the guest bedroom. Yes, I didn't want to commit with the papaya color on the walls, so I decided to go for a neutral background with pops of the papaya. Gender neutral, if you will.

PAINT: I went with Latte walls, a nice creamy tan.

FLOORING: The floor in the guest bedroom is a light yellow vinyl terazzo - not the most beautiful floor you've ever seen. Mission: cover it up. I fell in love with this rug from Macy's - and it's only $2,999.00!


But then I went to HomeGood's and found it for $299, but to my delight it was on sale for $200! They had the rug in different colors, so I got the olivey-taupey shade. Gender neutral, remember.


CURTAINS: I had a bolt of some great linen fabric that I wanted to use for the windows. Refined, yet casual is what I was looking for, so I hung the curtains from the very top of the wall and swooped them to either side.


FURNITURE: I just so happen to own a furniture boutique, so I got to cheat a little here. I had been eyeing some dark wood pieces in my shop for quite some time, so one night I packed up the truck and took a load home. :)



BEDDING: All white. White sheets, white skirt, white pillows, white everything. I love a fresh bed!

Neutral paint, furniture, rug and curtains - it's time to get some color in the room. I needed some fabric for throw pillows and valences. My inspiration was this Carleton V fabric. Love, love, loveeeed it - the color and geometric print are to die for, but it is $69/yd. (I've been told a time or two that I have "champagne taste on a beer budget." :/ )
I found this print below at Calico. Not the exact color, but it still had the geometric print and it was a remnant, so it only cost me $8/yd! The texture doesn't hurt either...


I'll post the final photos tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment